| The Tale of the Three Trees |
Yesterday I was given the privilege to participate in something I have never done before and yet, at the same time, I've done it millions of times in my life. I read a book - but this time I read it on a walk. Thirty six people participated on our Storybook Walk. I initially read the idea in a Disney Family Fun magazine and after speaking to the local librarian about doing in downtown in the storefront windows (I'm still lobbying for it), I decided to stop waiting and just do it myself.
Actually, it wasn't "myself" at all - I bet a total of 50+ people helped make this event the success that it was. If only there hadn't been an ASU football game at the same time, I bet we would have had even more participants.
So, here's what happened: We chose a children's storybook (the Children's Council at my church and I) and then I had the pages laminated. I attached them to fence posts around our church property and we set up a few important props at the climax of the tale. We began the walk by facing the three large trees on our church property and moved around to different "stations" or pages until I had read the whole book. I asked questions throughout and allowed the children to talk a little about what was going on as well. Honestly, I've never done anything like it and even today the excitement hasn't faded.

The last two pages of the book were read on top of a small hill. As I stood there with the headstones behind me (rumored to be the children of slaves) and the cross in front of me, I was in awe. There I was openly telling people about Jesus Christ - through a book, through my prayer, through my actions - some of whom already believe in Jesus, but some do not. I looked around at the open sky, the public place where we stood - the freedom was not lost on me. How is it that I have become so privileged that THIS is my job now. Besides raising my own beautiful children and sharing Christ with them, I am also blessed to share Christ (openly, I might add) with children in our community. And their parents. I don't know of any greater gift God could have given me yesterday.
Oh wait, I do. A church body that supports the children's ministry and makes something like this possible.
Blessed I am. What a beautiful Storybook Walk. The first of its kind in Boone, but not the last. Certainly not if I have anything to do with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment