Sunday, December 30, 2007

Disney World

A lot of you have been asking if we actually got to go to Disney, especially in light of Sam's recent PICU visit. The answer: YES!!!

We had a fantastic time visiting with Fran, Bill's college buddy, and we tried very hard to relax after the exciting year we've had. I've included so many photos, you'll probably get bored of looking at them all. So, just scroll down to the exciting ones, if you don't want to read my blogging with each photo.
We went to Animal Kingdom one day. Neither Bill nor I had ever been before. I think it was just right for Sam, but Bill and I will always prefer Magic Kingdom.
While we were there, we saw animals from all over the world. Here are a few.
Obviously, this large bear was indigenous to the Park.
We stood in line for a long time to meet him.
Sam loved petting Pooh.
His favorite was Tigger, BY FAR! I think it's because Sam used to have this little Tigger toy that the Parris family gave him when he was little. Maybe he was familiar him.
They had professional photographers taking pictures too. If you want one of these pictures for yourself and a little larger, let me know. I can direct you to their website or send you one of ours.
Here is Sam waiting for the parade.
There was a parade in the afternoon with enormous, specially designed animals worked by one or two people. Sam really enjoyed watching all of the animals go by.
Some of the animal were very tall.
Sam collapsed after all the fun and excitement. Here he is in front of the Siberian tiger exhibit. Good thing there was a lot of glass between us and the tigers. The most dangerous ride the day we went to Animal Kingdom was the Mount Everest roller coaster. A 43 year-old man died of a heart attack at about 11am that morning.

We got to go to the petting zoo inside Animal Kingdom. When we first got there, I turned around for a second to get a brush for the animals and left Sam with Bill. I turned back around when I heard people yelling and caught site of Bill carrying Sam and running into the animal's feeding area (which was roped-off). As I gathered more information from the people yelling around me, I realized that one of the goats had stolen Bill's park map from his back pocket while he was kneeling down petting the pygmy goats. He was trying to get it back, but wasn't able to move fast enough. A park employee (aka "cast member") finally tackled the goat and got it back. I laughed so hard. The goats did it about three more times before we left the area (to three different people). So, the photo above shows how curious the goats are. It also shows the last time we ever saw Bill's hat, which was tied to the back of his backpack.
Sam meeting his first sheep.
It was extremely patient with him.


Sam especially liked putting his finger in the sheep's nose.
That evening, Sam finally got to meet Minnie. The line for Mickey was WAY too long. He liked her nose too!
The next day we went to Magic Kingdom with Fran for a half-day's fun. The last time we were in Orlando, I finagled free tickets for all of us (but only from 5pm on). Still, we had a GREAT time being there at night. They lit Cinderella's Castle up like it had ice sickles hanging off of it. It was beautiful.
Here's the family in front of the castle.


Here we are with Fran at the Country Bear Jamboree. I knew Sam would love it, and he really did.

We're waiting for it to begin in this photo. Sam loves his Uncle Fran. He wanted to be held by him a lot.

Have you ever been to the Jamboree? It looks like the same exact bears as when I was a kid. One of the bears even had fur worn off of her chest where her claws were constantly moving up and down. I was a little disappointed the magical aspect was gone for me, but Sam was riveted.

He enjoyed "Buff" the Buffalo head on the wall. When the bears were transitioning to another song, Sam would point to the wall and say "more" with his sign language.

I almost forgot to add this photo of Sam entertaining everyone in the waiting hall. He was dancing and making everyone laugh. He definitely enjoys being the center of attention.

Afterwards, Sam rode on Fran's shoulders through the Electric Street Parade.

We walked over to a new ride called "Monster's Inc. Laugh Factory." I had my reservations about this comedy show, but I haven't laughed so hard in months. It was an interactive comedy routine with different cartoon characters doing stand-up.

The cartoon character would pick different people in the audience and make them do his bidding. There was a hidden video camera and the audience member would show up on the big screen. Well, Bill was chosen and - I can't do this justice in writing - but the cartoon told Bill to give him his best dance. Bill was sitting with his arms folded and a scowl on his face when they first put his image on the big screen. The cartoon said to do a jig. Bill didn't change his position. The cartoon egged him and said to do a belly dance. Bill didn't change his position. Finally, the cartoon said to do the polka and Bill jumped out of his seat and danced this hysterical dance. Then, he sat down and put the scowl back on his face and folded his arms.

I laughed till I cried.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad y'all were able to go and had a good time. I can't wait to see you all!

Love,
Erica & family

Hollie Carson said...

How fun!!! looks like ya'll had a fabulous time. I'm so happy that he was feeling great throughout the trip. I wish we could come over for the party you're throwing. Hugh has to work and Laney is completely exhausted from our very long trip home today that started at 3:00 am for us and 4:30 am for her. Thank you for thinking of us and inviting us!

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Ooh, I feel like I went to Disney with you. I love Sam. I laughed at the picture of him putting his finger in the sheep's nose. I bet Maggie would let him stick his finger in HER nose; she's a funny girl. I'm sooo glad you guys were still able to take your trip to Disney. It looks like it was just perfect.
Love you! Happy New Year!