Monday, March 15, 2010

Atlanta

Our family just took a (much needed) trip to Atlanta for the last part of the week. We had such a great time going to the children's museum and the aquarium there, but we really enjoyed seeing my aunt, uncle and my two cousins.

Sam and Carolina travel so well, it really is a huge blessing. One thing I usually do before long trips like this is to put on Sam's Medic Alert bracelet, which states that he has BrugadaSyndrome and an ICD implanted. I cannot believe I completely forgot to put it on his wrist for this trip. I think I need to leave it in the car from now on, just in case.

Generally, when we're here at home, I don't make him wear it. He doesn't love to wear it, though he will, and all of our local doctors and hospitals know his situation. The biggest fear I have when we're traveling out of town is that we'll get in some horrible accident where I won't be able to share his condition and the medics won't know that he has the ICD. I even had one pediatrician once feel Sam's defibrillator and ask me if it was his liver! Based on that alone, I can only imagine what an EMT might do if they felt his belly and didn't realize it was a defib.

Despite my horrible fears when we travel, I can actually enjoy myself most of the time. I forgot to bring a baby carrier OR a stroller, so both the kids had to walk everywhere we went. The worst part is that I learned Carolina has outgrown most of her shoes. I brought four pairs with us and the only pair that actually fit were her snow boots! I'm headed to a consignment sale today to find new shoes for her. That kid is seriously growing fast.

Sam's famous quote of the weekend was while I was away. He told my Aunt Nancy, "hey, we are playing outside in the grass and I'm not wearing a coat AND I don't have to button up! Where's the snow?? There's no snow here!!"

I think we'd been on-the-mountain a bit too long! It was a nice break from the snow.

2 comments:

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Hahaha! He sounds like he grew up isolated in Alaska or something. Sweet kid.

noahandlylasmommi said...

So glad you guys had a nice trip.