Musings over my pregnancies...bear with me while I share my experience.
Conceiving Sam took four and a half years. While carrying him, I was on bedrest for three months in three different countries. I spent weeks below the morgue in a public hospital in Hong Kong staring at a clock while doctor after doctor told me I was going to deliver him early and that there would be a very slim chance of his survival.
Delivery took 22.5 hours with just over three hours of actual pushing. I vomited for two plus hours afterwards. He wouldn't nurse the entire time he was in the hospital. I had an intrauterine infection that caused all the pre-term labor to begin with and caused me to have 103F fever for five weeks following his birth. Once I was on antibiotics (after they discovered what was causing it) I finally felt like myself again.
He was a wonderful baby (besides having to finger train him in how to nurse, which took days on end and countless hours of pumping). He was easy-going, lovely to be with, lovely to look at, a wonderful snuggler and quite aware from his first day outside of my womb (which, ended up being six days early).
He was my first. He is brilliant. I love him to death and wouldn't trade any of it - not one ambulance ride, not one moment of panic through countless contractions - NONE of it. I love him so much.
But trying to get pregnant for so long, carrying him, delivering him, and suffering through a strange infection afterwards really burned me for future pregnancies.
You can imagine my fear when I discovered I was pregnant with Hudson. I was fearful from the get-go about what kind of pregnancy I would have, what kind of delivery I would "suffer" and how the first weeks would go.
I worked throughout my whole pregnancy, despite 16 weeks of morning sickness (which ended at Disney World!). I raised my two children, a two year-old and a three year-old (now three and four) throughout the entire pregnancy. My husband traveled A LOT throughout the entire pregnancy.
Somehow I felt great. I had energy, I ate well, I was able to care for my kids AND start homeschooling them. We went to Tweetsie Railroad, the park, the local children's museum - we continued our lives as though I wasn't 43 pounds heavier. My back didn't hurt very badly, my hips didn't hurt. Despite the comments every pregnant woman endures ("you'll never make it to 40 weeks." "you're huge!" "Are you sure it's not twins?") I was none the worse for the wear.
And, delivery was amazing!
So, now you know, Hudson has entered our world. He came in just under four hours. He came in a mere 10 pushes and about six minutes. He nursed very quickly after being born for 45 straight minutes.
Wow. I didn't know it could be this way. I take back what I said. I DO understand why women get pregnant more than once. It's not so bad after the nine months are up. Sure, the hormone rushes make me cry for no reason and I'm quite sore, but other than that - WOW.
I'm so grateful to God that I got to experience this - the entire experience actually. Getting pregnant easily (without trying, actually), a healthy pregnancy, a wonderful delivery (amazing doctor too), and a very simple little boy who loves to nurse, be held and sleep.
Plus the joys of adoption! My cup is full. God has really blessed us.
Without further ado...here is our newest addition. Hudson.
6 comments:
He is BEAUTIFUL Teesa!!! I cannot wait to meet him!!! Love you all and praying for you and for sam and Carolins adjustment to Hudson!!!
He is precious... and I can't wait to meet him... and I am so glad that God brought him into your lives.... and I am curious - does this mean you are open to more?! :)
Love you much!
Erica
Beautifully written and beautiful boy, congratulations Teesa.
Congratulations on your new son!
He is absolutely beautiful. Update when you can LOL!
Yeah!!!! I am so happy to see Hudson and hear about your easy pregnancy and birth experience. I am so thankful! And then to have a sweet boy to hold, nurse and let Sam and Carolina love on is such a precious gift! I can't wait to get Hudson and Oak together - just days apart again. . .What about next time:) j/k (I think:)
Much love to you,
Germaine
This is so lovely. So happy with you.
Post a Comment