Friday, October 14, 2011

Homemade Deodorant


I've been wrestling with myself for a long time about the antiperspirant I use.  I kept reading about the aluminum in antiperspirant being linked to breast cancer.  Although no conclusive data has been found (according to this website and a few others).  But I kept hearing my friends who have recovered from breast cancer tell me that their oncologists have told them two things - no more processed foods and no more antiperspirants.

So, when my antiperspirant ran out, I decided to make my own.  And you know what?  It was not only cheap, it actually works.  I put the mixture in a mason jar and use clean fingers to apply.

Here's the recipe, if you dare:

1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup baking soda
4 Tbsp coconut oil

I mixed it with my fingers, since coconut oil actually becomes liquid at 76 degrees F (25C).

You can add 10 drops of your favorite essential oil if you like too.  I think the next time I make it I will add Tea Tree Oil, since it not only smells clean, it also neutralizes odors naturally.  So well, in fact, that I use it when washing my cloth diapers.

Am I preventing breast cancer?  I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that I just saved my wallet a little extra money and my conscience is clean, as well as my personal scent.

2 comments:

Kristen Morrison said...

Proud of you, Teesa! A couple things to add that I have discovered. Coconut oil deodorant stains bold-colored shirts. Also, diet has the biggest effect on body odor. I have found if I eat a Real Food diet, and especially when I avoid refined sugar, often I don't even need deodorant! Crazy stuff.

Teesa said...

I don't know what a "Real Food" diet is, but I do know we don't eat processed foods here. Most days we don't wear deodorant anyway. This is just an additional precaution. Thanks for the additional info, Kristen!