Monday, December 09, 2013

Back to Life

Today is the first day Sam has gone back to school since his surgery. He goes to a school two days a week and I homeschool him the other three days, so, to be fair, he really hasn't missed any school as I have been homeschooling him full time.  But when he woke up this morning, his belly was mysteriously hurting him and he began crying about not wanting to go to school.  When he finally shared his heart with me, I learned that he is worried about being different from the other kids. He wants to run with them at lunch time and be active like his friends.  

I suppose we will need to unpack his emotions a day at a time and certain issues will come up at odd intervals.  This morning, we prayed, we talked, I told him he is allowed to run again.  We had to talk about how he IS different from the other children, but that is okay.  We prayed some more and I told him he doesn't need to show anybody his belly if he doesn't want to (he has been showing a lot of people his scar).  He said, "But, Mom!  That's my favorite part of it all!"  

Oh, how far we have come from that sad little boy who was afraid of what people would think of him...

And, oh, what complicated emotions he has.  

But, oh, how blessed we are.  This child can communicate clearly what he is feeling, and I really appreciate that.  He is feeling all the appropriate emotions and then some...and, oh, how grateful I am he is here to feel anything at all.  
Well enough to pick out a tree with his brother and sister

No comments: