Sam is doing amazingly well. We're down to one wake up during the night, but that one usually lasts about a half hour or more. I can't figure out how to fix the problem - whatever it is. I think, in the end, he's just been traumatized from his hospital stay and wakes up in fear for his life. It's very difficult to soothe him.Nighttime experiences aside, he is physically doing amazingly well. He gets tired very easily, but is able to regulate himself. Today he sat at the dinner table by himself for almost one hour. I had gone out grocery shopping with Carolina and when I came back, Sam was still there. Bill said every time he asked Sam if he wanted to get down he said no. He only had a sippy cup in front of him, as he had finished his snack in about ten minutes. I know he was tired, despite no activity today. So, I put a coloring book and some markers in front of him and he set off to coloring (and gluing). After another 15 minutes or so, he was ready to get up. The entire time, he was just talking to himself and having a grand ol' time.
Carolina is doing well too. She's communicating like crazy, but mostly with her hand signs. I need to teach her more, because she often just goes through all of them if she doesn't get what she wants the first time. She's very attached to us too. If I leave the room, she either cries or watches me from a distance. When she sees Bill, she often says, "Daddy!" and runs to him for a big hug. She loves jumping and rolling and any other kind of tumbling activity. She's very obedient, but really pushes to find out what she's not allowed to do. I think that comes from lack of experience in a lot of ways. But, if I say to put the remote control down, she puts it down without complaint.
She and Sam are playing well together these days. She's catching up in a lot of her development too. I think she's quite bright (if I do say so myself) and as she experiences new things she will absorb them like a sponge.
Sam is working on memorizing Psalm 23 for his birthday. He's got the first couple of verses down pat, but we have a few more to do. Last year he did John 3:16 on his birthday. I'm hoping each year I can get him (and Carolina, eventually) to memorize longer and longer verses. They're not for him to recite in front of everyone (unless he wants to), but for him to recite to our family on his birthday. I think it is a great tradition for us to have. I'm looking forward to the day he can pick out his own Scripture to memorize.
Hope you have a happy Labor Day!!
8 comments:
Hey Klear Family! I am glad to hear that Sam is continuing to improve each day! When you mentioned the memory verse that Sam is learning it reminded me of a book that you might enjoy using with both Sam and Carolina. It is called the "Grace and Truth Memory Book". There are verses, hymns, and truth questions for age groups beginning at 2 years - grade school. I have purchased them for my little girl and even though she is just 10 months old I have already begun reading the age 2 verses to her so that they will be familiar when it comes time for memorizing. Something you might want to look into for your family.
Again so glad that things are well - I was in Boone this weekend visiting my sister and thought of you all!
Chantry
The kids look so sweet in that picture. I think the scripture memory is a great tradition to have. :)
Glad all is well and happy.
Great suggestion Chantry! I'll keep an eye out for that book. So far I have just been reading directly from the Bible and a little kid's Bible he has. But, having a help like that will mean a lot. Wish we could have met you in Boone! I need to give you my number for next time. Or you can call our church for it.
I am so glad to hear that everyone is doing well - I will be praying that Sam can start sleeping through the night again! Is he still taking any Tylenol?
I just have to say - I knew from the first 5 minutes I spent with Carolina what a smarty she is. I could see it easily and I am not at all surprised by the intelligence she is showing! :) She is a very special little girl!!!!
Love to you all!
He's not taking any more Tylenol unless he seems to be in an enormous amount of pain. It's hard to tell though, since he lies to us about being in pain or not. Just tonight he fell and caught himself and then his hands both grasped at his belly incision and he gasped. When I asked him if he was in pain, he said no and limped away. I think he's afraid we'll take him to the doctor. I gave him Tylenol last night though. He seemed to be in a lot of pain and wouldn't stop crying for almost 20 minutes.
so glad he is doing well. praying that he stays healthy this winter so you can have lots of family time and enjoy the holidays!
Hi Teesa,
I think you've all held up amazingly during these last very challenging weeks. I'm so glad to hear that Sam is continuing to recover--he is a very strong little guy! I wanted to say that I love your scripture memory idea and I might "steal" it--what a great way to focus on the things that are really important around birthdays rather than just gifts, cake, parties, etc. Great idea!
Blessings to you all,
Rachel W
Post a Comment