Monday, October 27, 2008

Step By Step Guide: English Muffins


We had a wonderful day in our warm, toasty home painting, playing with friends and cooking bread. Sam was very interested in what Elijah was drawing.


Just to expand a little on my English muffin recipe, I thought I'd add some photos of us making it today. It was the perfect day to stay inside and cook bread. The whole house filled with the smell of yummy bread and it warmed our home just as it was starting dust with snow outside.


First, I want to encourage those of you who don't think you can do this. Yes you can! This is a very simple recipe, as bread recipes go, and requires very little effort on your part. If you have a mixer with a kneading attachment, it will make it even easier. If not, the only real effort you will expend is muscle energy.



As mentioned in my previous post, this recipe has yeast in it, to help the bread rise. If you use the right temperature of water (between 105 and 120F), the yeast should activate and look like the above photo.



I mixed the milk, salt, oil and flour then slowly added the yeast mixture. I used my KitchenAid kneading attachment and slowly mixed everything together.

Then I added the three cups of whole wheat flour and kneaded for about five more minutes. I transfered the dough to a greased Pyrex dish and covered it with plastic wrap, then placed it in my warm oven. You don't need to warm the oven, but it helps it rise a little faster.

About an hour later, I pulled it out and found it had risen perfectly.

It was the perfect situation for little hands to be involved. I try to include Sam every time I bake bread and punching down the dough is one of his favorite past times.

Then we rolled it out - another joy of Sam's. He is such a great helper.

Finally, we cut out little circles and placed them on a couple cookie sheets with some cornmeal sprinkled on them. I covered them with kitchen towels and set them aside for another half hour.

Once they were about an inch tall, I put them on my warmed cast iron skillet. I love my skillet and use it at least one time every day - it is so versatile.

The end result: perfectly browned whole wheat English muffins - made with fresh goat's milk for that extra nutrition. We ate them with smoked beef brisket, butternut squash bisque and fresh Swiss chard from the local Farmer's Market.

11 comments:

beckarecka said...

I cannot wait to try your english muffin recipe! (I just need to figure out how to balance being a mom w/ cooking, cleaning, and the other household stuff first. :) )

The Menius family said...

Glad to see you are supporting your local Farmer's Market;-)

We have just recently been getting turkey eggs. I haven't fixed any yet but Lee had one for breakfast last week and said they were really rich. My boys love duck eggs.

I haven't tried goat milk but I know we are getting a goat dairy in our area soon...can't wait.

I'll let you know when I try the english muffins! Thanks for sharing.

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

My favorite part of your post: "We ate them with smoked beef brisket, butternut squash bisque and fresh Swiss chard from the local Farmer's Market. " What? That sounds amazing!

And may I say can you please write your cookbook soon? I really appreciate the pictures, b/c the few times I've made homemade bread I've wondered exactly how much the yeast was supposed to "bubble" and how much the bread was supposed to rise. I always like having pictures with my recipes.

Sounds wonderfully delicious, and I'm definitely going to try this.

p.s. I like Sam's pensive, artist face as he's studying the drawing. :)

Teesa said...

Oh yes, the brisket was good. Courtesy of my father - he bought it in Texas last week. It was so delicious - I love Texas BBQ. The bisque was very easy - I'll post the recipe some time.

Shannon - you see the small flour sifter in the background of the pictures? I bought that with the gift card you gave me to Pampered Chef and I LOVE it! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

So when are you opening up your own restaurant? All of your meals sound fantastic! And when do you have the time to cook all of this amazing food from scratch?!?!?!

Teesa said...

I would LOVE to open my own restaurant!!! That sounds like so much fun and I think I could put some delicious items on the menu.

It's all about the planning, Missy. And I incorporate Sam's learning/play time into making these things from scratch.

Nan said...

Thanks for your encouragement! Also, the muffins look great! Do you alwasy cook with whole wheat flour and have you had a hard time substituting it in for white flour?

Teesa said...

I don't ever use "all" whole wheat - I always split it half and half, otherwise the bread product is too dense and doesn't rise properly (or taste proper). I am a big "texture" person, so when I bake breads, I really like it to have the right texture. I don't use whole wheat in some things - like sticky buns or cookies, but I do use it in anything that I know it will boost the nutrition to.

Another hint: add a crumbled up Vitamin C pill (unflavored) to preserve it for longer - the vit C is absorbic acid and will keep it fresher for longer.

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Huh! I had no idea about the vitamin C... and I think it's a GREAT idea to open your own restaurant! I just wish we lived closer. :)

Awe! I love that you got something with your gift card that you'll use so often.

Hollie Carson said...

SO supa cool!!! I only had time to look at the pics since I have two seconds to look at your blog, but I WILL be returning!

Kelly said...

I finally got around to trying to make the English Muffins today. I made the yeast rolls for Thanksgiving. Both were delicious. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes.