Well, we've had a whirlwind of a weekend. Bill got back yesterday after being gone just over two weeks in India and Indonesia.
Sam and I drove down to Charlotte to meet him, because, well, we couldn't stand to be apart a moment longer. We went to Ikea and then to Bill's favorite restaurant (Chili's) to celebrate his homecoming and our reunion.
Last week I was diagnosed with a sinus infection, which I think I mentioned here. I was given some antibiotics to take and finished them up about three or four days ago. Yesterday morning I noticed I was scratching myself in my sleep and when I woke up and checked my torso out, I had red splotches all over. The itching and rash grew steadily worse until I finally called the doctor on-call. He said to take some Claritan at 2pm and Zyrtac at bedtime and that it was probably an allergic reaction to the antibiotics.
I kept Bill up all night long with my scratching. I feel terrible about it, especially because he's jet lagging and he didn't need someone scratching themselves incessantly keeping him awake - he needed a nice restful sleep.
The rash and itching was progressively getting worse today and I checked back with the on-call doc who said to take some Benadryl. I took two and all it did was make me drowsy. So I was sleepy AND scratching myself all over.
In the end, the doctor told me to go to the ER. So, we spent about an hour there (surprisingly little time and we saw the doc within minutes of arriving). I am officially allergic to Cephalosporins and they prescribed an epi pen in case something happens in the next few days. All from one little antibiotic, I'm now on Prednisone, Zantac, Zyrtec, another type of antihistamine.
At least it's not Sam who's keeping us hopping. Hey, I want attention too, you know!
6 comments:
Sometime, you should blog about IKEA. I'd never heard of it but I don't get out much.
I hope you got some help now with that itching. Starts working on ya mentally too.
I'm still working on getting over the grud.
Hope you are feeling better! Will you be getting to CLT this weekend? We will be Ikeaing it on Satuday with all our "crew"
Beth
Bless your heart Teesa! I am so sorry, but glad that you got everything figured out! And glad it isn't Sam this time:) Glad Bill made it home safely!
Good grief. I know it's bad but I was laughing at the picture in my head of you keeping Bill awake with your scratching. I'm still giggling about it.
I had a similiar reaction to some meds so I feel your pain. I did not end up in the ER (mine was in the daytime) but I did go to the dr and get a shot in the rump along with some cream.
Before I went to the dr I was at work and one of the guys in the office told me to put Super Glue on the areas that itched. I tried it on one area it did work but who wants super glue all over their torso.
Hope you are getting some relief now. I carry an epi-pen too!
I'm allergic to those type of antibiotics too! At least you know now!
Post a Comment