Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Cats and Curls

As we are approaching our return to the States, I wanted to show my support for my alma mater, NC State. My brother sent me this picture last week. I can only hope it was his cat he coerced into wearing the wonderful red and white of State.

Go State! (Look away Mandy!)



A friend of ours, Inez, told me that her son had perfectly straight hair until she took him on a trip to Missouri to see her family. While they were in Missouri, his hair curled a bit and after they returned home, it was never straight again.

I am wondering if Thailand's humidity did the same for Sam. When we took him to Thailand, he had perfectly straight hair, but the sea air altered it, perhaps permanently. This morning Sam woke up with a beautiful curl on the top of his head.



I wanted to take some pictures of Sam this morning and found the camera had some strange settings on. This is a continuous struggle that I face - I do not like change when it comes to electronic equipment. I wish Internet Explorer had never upgraded and moved their buttons around, I hate it when I look at my computer desktop and can't find the icon I know I put in a particular spot, and I hate finding out that I've taken several pictures on the wrong setting.

Our new digital SLR is a wonderful investment, but I need to take a class on how to use it. Bill knows just what knobs to turn and ISO to change and whatever else needs tweaking, so I am absolutely dependent on him to help me. Actually, I think he does it on purpose, so I will always need him. That's what tell myself anyway, since it seems like a sweeter sentiment than the plain fact that I am not well-versed in everything. (I should be using the word "ignorant," but I can't bring myself to do it.)

Here is an example of the differences in our photo-taking. This one is mine - and while it's sweet, in general, it's out of focus and not composed well. But, the idea that I was going for is to show you what Sam does with his hands when something tickles him. Isn't that sweet?



Of course, here is Bill's obviously well-composed, beautifully-clear photo of Sam. His eyes are reflecting sunlight in just the right way and his skin is perfectly shaded with light. And, as is my father's favorite part, the foreground is in focus and the background is out of focus (i.e. narrow depth of field - I had to ask Bill what that was called while writing this. Ignorance isn't always bliss.).



Enough of my rant. On to more important things - like my child. He is doing this very funny thing lately where he latches on to my cheek when he is tired. We finally got it on camera and I was surprised when I looked at the photo that it looks like he is licking me. Just don't blow the picture up too big and you won't be too grossed out. Anyway, I guess what they say is true, "mothers only see the good." Because I don't even mind that he's licking me.

Go State!

2 comments:

Ben and Mandy said...

I'll be honest. I grew up a Wolfpack fan--maybe because I thought red was prettier than blue. Nevertheless, I married a Carolina boy and now I find myself, on occasion, busting out the UNC fight song. Ah, marriage.

Melissa said...

Teesa that is the sweetest picture of little Sam kissing you on the cheek...

Great post! ;)

mel.....