Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Chin-nose-eyes


I often wonder who Sam looks most like. He definitely has his daddy's hair - except for when we were in Thailand and the humidity allowed it to curl. Here's what I've come up with (of course, I know you'll correct me where I'm wrong).

It is almost impossible to tell who a baby most favors. Everyone says, "He looks just like you," or "He looks just like his Daddy." Most babies just look like babies, as my friend Erica recently reminded me. There's just a quality about them that is kind of...well, "baby-ish."

One of the more interesting comments I get about Sam (consistently, I might add) is that he looks like an grown man stuck in a baby's body. His facial features are a little mature for his age, I suppose. That being said, I guess he does tend to favor certain family members.

My older brother, Seth, keeps telling his wife that the Gilbert genes are strong. After looking at a picture of Seth when he was Sam's age, against what Sam looks like, I am inclined to agree. Now, that is not to say he does not favor Bill's side of the family at all, because I do believe that he does. When it comes to Sam's chin, I think there were too many strong chins on both sides. Bill's family call it "Gaga's chin," after Bill's grandmother. My family calls it the "Crawford chin," after my paternal grandmother's side of the family. Whatever the case, he came by it in ernest.

Here is a picture of Seth when he was Sam's age.



Now, let's move on to noses. It appears that Sam's nose comes from my side of the family. But, then again, don't all babies have the same nose? I always thought that until I saw a baby on TV the other day whose nose took up 90% of her face. I was taken aback at the size of the schnozz and even gasped a little. But, I do think that for the most part, all babies noses are the same. So, my nose, Bill's nose, Seth's nose...everyone can claim this one without being wrong. Here is a picture of me when I was little.

Please note that I look like the general "baby" that is so common in this world, at least the caucasian part.



Eyes are another factor in Sam's facial features. We're not sure how he came by the deep blue, but the shape of his eyes are clearly Bill's. Click on the picture below to see a larger view of Bill's eyes and Sam's. They both look so serious.



Next we come to clothes. This really has nothing to do with heritage, except the lovely polyester suit Seth is wearing and the identical outfits Adam and I are in have to do with my heritage. I think my mother's side of the family enjoys being "in-fashion," no matter what the cost to the poor children involved. I love your wide lapels, Seth. Very stylish. I only wish my mother kept the suit so Sam could wear it one day. Hint hint, Mom.




Moving back to present day...Sam has a nice little booster seat that we set up today. He is always trying to grab at things on the table as we eat, so I thought it might be nice to have him sit there with us. He's such a big boy. Look at those great facial features, very Gaga-Crawford-Gilbert-Klear-ish, with style (thanks, Mom).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm sure I still have the suit. I'll look for it.
I think Sam looks like you and Billy.
mom