Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Email From Chengdu

Some close friends of ours wrote out an email tonight from Chengdu. I asked them if I could post it on our blog and they said yes. I've changed it a bit for publication. Please pray for these folks. Also, they have some friends who have a small child and are expecting that live to the north of Chengdu and no one has heard from them.

We are at home now writing you and preparing for today. We are thankful for all of your prayers and your thoughts to us. Please continue to pray for the people here and that we would have wisdom on how we can help these people. We stayed the night in our home and were so thankful for peace as we slept. We are reminded that He cares for us, that His mercies are new every morning.

I was with the kids at home when the quake hit, the house was swaying like a boat and I ran with the kids with no shoes and nothing...they ran down 16 flights just asking the Lord to hold the building...the quake lasted about 3 minutes. When we got downstairs people were running everywhere. One Tibetan friend of ours saw me without shoes and just put her shoes on her feet.

Everyone waited by the street for several hours. Many people hugged the kids, hugged me and just were worried with them. Our house helper saw that we didn't have our dog, the kids had been crying that she was left there. She told them that she would try....she ran up the stairs and returned with Riley,our passports and the stuffed duck that our little one loved. It was so precious and very special to see her love for us.

My husband was taking his brother to the airport and felt like the car had a blow out, when he stepped out of the car to look at the tire, he felt the ground moving the same. The driver said hurry lets go, as they were under an overpass. They drove to the airport and saw that there were people everywhere...they began to make their way to us...through so much traffic they came to our home. He didn't realize the size of the earthquake until he saw us and just heard our story.

Fear gripped me in a way I have never experienced. I was so scared I would not get the kids out, I was scared that I couldn't find my husband....but the Lord has reminded me that He did not give us a spirit of fear, but of LOVE, POWER, and a SOUND MIND. My husband has said he has been reminded that God will never leave us or forsake us.

My husband made us a shelter in the corner of the soccer field and the kids slept so well in the tent. God sent us our brother-in-law, Bob, so we had one person holding each child. We needed one more set of hands and Uncle Bobby was there.

Will you ask for God to comfort our own fears and give us eyes for those around us...this is a time to be honest, where I want to hold my kids around me and keep them safe, ask that we could see others and have God's love to help.

Will you ask for our kids to have peace---that this would just seal in their hearts a trust in the Lord for His care.

We continue to feel aftershocks and just need prayer to have peace---the water and gas have been coming on and off...please ask for that "sound mind" for us as we care for our home and needs and things.

We look to Jesus--leaning, leaning safe and secure from all alarms, leaning, leaning, leaning on the ever lasting arms.

No comments: