Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Ahh, the Mountains

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to post of what happened this weekend, but it was truly wonderful. Bill and I took Sam on the longest hike of his life - five miles through very diverse terrain. We started in the swamp, went through forest, hiked through huge rocks, next to a river we could have gone swimming in (it was too cool though) and finally ended up in a cow pasture - all up and down a mountain.

Sam loved walking all over the hardened cow pies. He kept saying, "cow pooty!" over and over. He really had us laughing. It took us almost three hours to hike the five miles, so it wasn't too bad. I was a little unprepared, food-wise, but we managed. I guess I didn't realize it would take so long. I'll be prepared for the next trip though. I'll also make sure to bring my camera.

That evening we had our new pastor and his wife over for a meal. They have a lot to teach us about mountain living. They're both from Western North Carolina, so they're "indigenous" to this region. We really are loving getting to know them and our new church.

On Sunday, after church, we went over to some new friend's house for lunch. They have a daughter about Sam's age. Sam didn't play with her as much as he played with her older sister though. We had a fantastic time and ate some really delicious food. It's wonderful getting to know so many new people.

Yesterday morning, Sam, Trish, Elijah and I went down to the Greenway to meet some other new friends. All of us have kids within six months of each other. It's the perfect playgroup. I think it'll be exciting when they're all in one home over the winter, playing and learning together. They took over the playground, after our walk on the Greenway. We looked like a parade coming down the street - four strollers and two bicycles!

No comments: