Sam and I had a great time in church today. It's not highly unusual to enjoy a service, but it is highly unusual for me to be able to pay attention to every word spoken. Sam was on his best behavior and colored or read through most of it.
Before I left for church this morning, I put in a load of cloth diapers. I remember thinking I shouldn't do this on Sunday, but I did it anyway.
Then, lo and behold, our pastor spoke about keeping the Sabbath, among other things. While we were overseas, we used different days of the week as our Sabbath. We almost always took one day every week and rested on it. We didn't meet any of our friends or do any work. We usually stayed home. It sometimes fell on Sundays, but more often than not, it didn't.
Since we've been in America, we've had a very difficult time keeping a day of rest for ourselves. Bill works five days a week, like most of you reading this, and has very limited time on the weekends to get everything done.
This morning, our pastor reminded me that in American culture, Sunday is the day of rest for Christians. Our neighbors watch us on these days and see our behavior. But, more importantly, my body needs a day of rest.
As many mothers out there are aware, it is very difficult to actually "rest" on these days. However, I do not need to do laundry, sweep, mop, wash dishes - all of the things that I used to abstain from on our day of rest. They're unimportant in the scheme of things, which are: First and foremost, obeying God's commandment to keep a day of rest. Secondly, to give my body and mind rest. Thirdly, to be a witness to those around me - showing that I can and will keep the Lord's commandments.
I have really been challenged. Something that used to be so important to me has fallen by the wayside and I am at fault for allowing that to happen. It is a sin. It is a sin because I was disobeying the Lord's commandment. Not only that, but I knew it was wrong - even this morning as I put a load in the washer - but I did it anyway.
I realize there are bigger things going on in the world - even in my own life. But, I am going to take a small step forward with this and obey His commandment.
I often see Sam doing things even though I tell him not to. Or, I ask him to do something and he won't. Do you ever resist what the Lord is telling you? Has He asked you to do something and you are hesitant? I hope today things can change for you.
I'm going to hang out at our home, think about His word in my heart, sing songs to my son and play my guitar for him for the first time in weeks and enjoy the Lord's day. A day that He has given me and a day that He has chosen to open my eyes to. I'm only glad that I responded. Have you?
3 comments:
Teesa,
Thanks for the reminder. This is so true, and you're right. It's so easy to do one little thing, like the laundry, on the Sabbath. As a Mom, there are some things you can get out of. But, a lot of it can wait until Monday. I had been making my grocery list and menu out on Sundays and Johnny suggested I start doing it on Saturdays. It's been really nice to have NO-thing on my to-do list for Sundays. It has been a great day of rest, just as intended by the Father.
Alisha
Thanks for sharing that Teesa. As a working mom I find it very hard to have a day of rest. I also always work on Sundays but I will keep this post in mind.
What a fantastic reminder. I haven't been faithful in doing this in a long time. I have used my children as an excuse - "I have to do laundry... these things can't wait".
I needed this! Thanks Teesa
Miss you too!
Love,
Erica
Post a Comment