Friday, September 26, 2008

Out of Gas

Would you believe that Western North Carolina is running out of gas? I heard on the news this morning that Charlotte only had three stations with gas. Sam and I got caught up in the mellay yesterday when I realized I only had 1/8 of a tank left.

I drove all around town yesterday looking for gas and there was none. Big signs were posted everywhere reading, "out of gas." I found an Exxon that the tanker was just leaving. When I pulled in, a man approached my car and told me he was ahead of me and that I was definitely at the end of the line. He said things might not be very cordial. I conceded very quickly and said I would leave if that would make him happy. I did end up getting gas ahead of him, but only because my tank is on the left side and his apparently is on the right.

It's all from Ike. Governor Easley promises this will end soon. We're being told next week may show signs of relief. I read today that Asheville's community college was actually shutting down since there are so many commuters. There are a lot of things being canceled.

I went straight from the Exxon station to the grocery store, where I stocked up on supplies, then I came home. I haven't left since. I don't plan on leaving either. The Exxon station's restriction was 10 gallons per car, so I only have just under 3/4 of a tank left. Bill's car also has 3/4 of a tank, so at least I'll have that in case of an emergency.

We're hunkering down and plan on staying put until mid-week next week, at least. We have plenty of food, but I think Sam is going to go crazy unless the sun comes back out. He was expressing his displeasure at me not allowing him to go outside today.

When smoke from a burner got the smoke alarm up in arms around dinner-time, I had to open all the windows and doors. Sam took the opportunity to tempt himself at the doorway for about 15 minutes before he took the plunge and went outside in the cold rain. I heard his socked-feet splashing on the floor when he came back in a second later. That's how I knew. Kids never think of hiding things like that. He was quickly punished (his pretzels were taken away) and got some nice warm clothes on.

Now he's safely in his warm cozy bed with a thick comforter on him. I'm not far behind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That's intense. While reading that I would never guess you are in America! ;)
I will be thinking about you as I also hunker down for the week... just got back from the grocery store where I stocked up. All because Steve is headed out of town for a week... so the kids and I will be spending more time indoors unless I am just feeling ambitious and don't mind carrying all 3 kids around when they get mobbed! :)
Miss you!
Love,
E

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Haha, Sam is so cute, sneaking out into the rain... if Maggie were there, she'd probably be telling him "no no" or if she followed him, she'd be very upset about her wet socks. She's such a girl.

It was good talking to you today - I had no idea we talked for so long! We're praying you stay cozy and have good weather and lots of fun around the house while you await the gas shortage to end.

Nan said...

We heard about it up there. We are doing ok here but will be praying for gas and for the hunkered down time at home. And that the weather gets better!

noahandlylasmommi said...

That is awful. Glad we are far enough from the hurricance, it hasnt affected us. I hope things get back to norma soon! Hopefully the weather will clear up so Sam can get out and play outside.