We have a very succinct routine every night in our household:
6pm Dinner
6:50pm Bath time
7pm Brush teeth
7-7:15pm Read three books
7:15pm In bed, lights out, pray
Usually we can leave the room with no problems. Bill is almost always a part of story time, and if he's home, he always lays down in Sam's bed with him to pray and say goodnight, while I kneel beside him. Lately, Sam's been getting upset and begging one of us to tell a story before we leave. I'm not sure why, but I am usually the story teller. When it falls on Bill, he always tells a Bible story, but when it's my turn, I usually just make one up. I really love that Bill tells so many Bible stories, so I decided to tell one last night (Bill didn't get home until well after Sam was already in bed).
When I make a story up, I usually ask Sam to help finish it. It's like that new movie "Bedtime Stories" (which I cannot wait to see!) when Adam Sandler is asking his niece and nephew what happens next. (I think I may have even found a babysitter for when it comes out, but I'm not holding my breath - we may just have to wait for the DVD, as with every other movie. But, I digress)
So, when I started telling the story of David and Goliath last night, here's what came of it:
Me: A long long time ago, there was a boy named David and he had a lot of brothers. His brothers were far away one day when his father asked him to take them a meal. When David got there, he learned they were fighting the Philistines. And do you know what he found?
Sam: A giant! (he knows this story well)
Me: That's right. And David was surprised that the Israelites allowed the Philistines to insult his God, so he wanted to fight the giant. When King Saul heard that David wanted to fight Goliath, the giant, do you know what he did?
Sam: He ate raspberries!
Me: (giggling a little) Well, I don't know, I suppose he could have offered him raspberries. But, what he also did was to offer his very own armor. But do you know what? The armor was too big. So what did David do?
Sam: More raspberries?
Me: No. No raspberries.
Sam: Apples?
Me: No. No apples...He picked up five smooth stones and slung one in his sling shot and hit the giant right in between his eyes and killed him. And do you know what happened to David?
Sam: Ride the horsies!
Me: Probably. Because he became one of Saul's most trusted men after that.
Sam: Do it again. Tell the story again! Cows! Apples? Okay, Mama?
Me: Night night Sam. Now you can tell your teddy bear the same story.
Sam: (Holding up his teddy bear) Kiss now!
So, I kissed his teddy bear good night and kissed Sam good night and left the room. An hour and a half later, when Bill came home, I told Bill he needed to go say good night to Sam (because I had promised it in one of my deal-makings earlier in the evening). Bill went in and Sam, who was still awake but lying still, promptly told Bill to kiss his teddy good night.
And then he fell asleep.
4 comments:
Awe.... It's late here, and I was picking up toys in the living room, when I heard Jeff get up from the computer and say, "That Teesa Klear can tell a story." He left your post up for me to read after I was done cleaning up.
And now after reading it, I feel like I can go to sleep to.
Great story.
That Teesa Klear can also cook! :-)
Well, it was my job for 7 years to re-tell stories to illiterates...
Joanna, I forgot to ask - how did the bread turn out? I baked the second batch for about 10 minutes less and it was great. We just finished it today.
yhow sweet. you are a wonderful mother teesa!
Post a Comment