The day after Thanksgiving, my daddy's cousin drove with my brother to Wilmington and picked up two bushels of oysters. Our family loves to cook and we don't just cook your ordinary mundane items. If we're going to do it, we'll do it right. They cooked them up and then we spread them out on newspaper and just dug in. We ate until our eyes were bursting and then we had our second course, around 10pm...

...a low-country boil! Sausage, corn and shrimp boiled with some spices make the most amazing meal. We spread that out across the table too and, again, dug in.
On Thanksgiving Day, we ate fried turkey, smoked pork butt, and various side dishes. It was so delicious we could barely eat all the desserts we made. In fact, it took us three more days to finish off all the desserts!
Our hotel was right on the beach, so we got to have a few walks to collect sea shells and enjoy the ocean. Sam didn't want to keep any shells, he only wanted to throw them back into the ocean.
My parents couldn't make it, because they're in Thailand, so we really missed them. All of Daddy's surviving brothers and sister were there, plus cousins and my great aunts and uncle. It was a special time to remember why we are thankful. It was especially neat for me to see those whom we have grafted into our family, whether by adoption or by marriage.
I got to spend some time with my new nephew Crawford too. We put the boys together and took a few fun photos while Crawford's mommy and daddy were out.
I think they both enjoyed each other. The Winnie the Pooh doll that Crawford is holding has some meaning. When I was on bed rest with Sam, my Daddy's cousin Jan bought one for Sam. She sent it all the way to Hong Kong for me and told me her daughter had enjoyed a similar one when she was little. Jan passed away last year (we miss her dearly), but I bought one for Crawford to have in her honor. It appears that he loves his Pooh Bear, and I think Jan would be thrilled.
I'll post more pictures soon, I just wanted to give some of the highlights for now. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving too.
Adoption update: It looks like we won't be hearing anything for another two weeks. I'll continue to update you as I know more.
3 comments:
Glad y'all are back Teesa. You know I love the food photo's. Myrtle Beach is nice this time of year, we've spent several Christmas' there.
Your Lemon Chess Pie slid down just fine. :-) We had mostly "indoor" weather while you were gone so I cooked at we ate, way too much.
This is a pretty snow, lays it the trees nice.
I think you would enjoy Sharon's blog - http://theoldoakswing.blogspot.com/
Glad you guys had a nice time Teesa. Sounds like lots of yummy food :)
Glad you had a great Thankgiving! I love the seafood- when we are at my parent's house for Christmas we always do a "shrimp bog"- same meal different name.
I have to tell you that your peanut butter pie was a hit at Thanksgiving. I did manage to bring one piece back home though. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to have to decide which one I am going to make next.
Post a Comment