Sunday, December 21, 2008

For Papa Vic

We had a big loss in our family early this morning. Bill's grandfather, Papa Vic, passed away around 1am. He had leukemia, melanoma, congestive heart failure and pneumonia on top of all of it.
We are grieving the loss of a great man. Vic had so many accomplishments in his life, not least of which was his daughter, my mother-in-law, Gerry Ann. He was greatly involved in politics and even held office in Florida and was an entrepreneur - I can't even begin to list the amazing things he accomplished. Earlier last week, he was admitted to Bert Fish Medical Center and was able to see out of his window a bridge that he oversaw the construction of years ago, despite not having an engineering degree.

Vic was a great encourager to this family. He was very proud of his daughter and grandchildren. He especially loved the very unique connection he had with Sam - both being heart patients. Last Christmas we were able to visit him and he had a billion questions about Sam's defibrillator and he had done his own research on it as well, so he also had a billion things to tell us about it (much of which we didn't know). He always wrote us emails, even though they were short, about how much he enjoyed reading what I wrote - he thought I could even be a professional writer some day. That's the love and pride of a grandfather, isn't it?

Vic, Sam and Tootsie


The most wonderful thing about all of this is that he will live on in Gerry Ann. When I spent time with him last winter, I was shocked - SHOCKED - when I heard him laugh for the first time in years (as we had been away). Gerry Ann has the exact same laugh as her father. His laughter filled the room and my heart was filled with joy in knowing that they shared something so special.


We will miss you greatly, Papa Vic. We love you. Our hearts are with Tootsie, Bill's grandmother, as she grieves the loss of her husband.

I really hope my next post isn't dedicated to anyone else. Our family can't take much more sadness this holiday season.

7 comments:

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that we love you guys, we're praying for you, and wish we could be there to love on you in person.
Shannon

Trish said...

Oh Teesa, I am so sorry to hear this! Please know that everyone is in our thoughts and prayers, as always and especially during this trying time.

With love,
Trish

Check out The Webels said...

Bill & Teesa,
I am so sorry to hear this. I wish we could give you guys hugs... know that we are praying for you guys.

Steve & Erica

Anonymous said...

Thank you Teesa. You did a lovely job telling about Daddy. Yes, he will be missed. Should have brought tissues with me to read the blog. That's okay, I used my shirt. Okay, the last sentence did sound like something Daddy would have said.

Melissa said...

Teesa and Bill, I am so sorry for your loss. It's been awhile since I've made the rounds on the blogging world. I just want you both to know that you will be in my prayers as you remember those who you've lost during this December.

Love to you three!
Melissa

noahandlylasmommi said...

I am so sorry for your loss Teesa. I am praying for all of you!

The Menius family said...

I have been out-of -town and just learned of your loss. I am so sorry for your family. It sounds like he was a great man and will be missed by many people.