We leave tomorrow morning for my family reunion. I am so thrilled we finally get to go, it's been six years since we went to the last one. This one is at Myrtle Beach, as I mentioned before, because that's where the first one was held in 1979.
My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Crawford, a name that has stayed in our family. My father, older brother and my nephew all carry it as their middle names. My great grandfather, Audis Crawford, was a private investigator in Mississippi and I even have a book that was published called "Crawford Law" which is all about his crazy adventures as a PI. Maybe I'll share some of them one day - I remember when I was on bedrest I read every story twice.
In preparation for the reunion, I've already baked a pumpkin cheesecake, lemon chess pie, made a peanut butter pie and several pie shells. I'm going to make an apple/pear pie before the day is finished. I am just resting for a bit before "round two."
Sam had a great morning out at the library. I thought with all the craziness we are about to put him through, I might as well allow him to enjoy something more in his routine. We even got to see Sam's friend Trathan today (pictures to come later).
It's now the end of the month, and I know there are many of you out there praying specifically for our adoption through the end of November. The next time that referrals are "supposed" to come out is the end of the month - so we should know by early next week whether or not we were in this batch. Please remember the situation and I will update you when we return. We will not have internet in South Carolina.
Here's a great recipe for Butternut Squash Bisque that I have used before and adored.
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced carrots
4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups vegetable stock
salt and ground black pepper to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in the butter and oil under tender.
Mix the carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender. I sometimes bake the butternut squash first - cut it in half lengthwise and put facedown on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Then add it to the blender.
In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to the pot, and stir in the heavy cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.
And, just for good measure, here's my Tuna Dip (since Shannon asked):
1 package cream cheese, softened
1 can spring-water packed tuna fish
1 T green onions
1 t curry
Drain the tuna and mix it with the melted cream cheese. Add the onions and curry. Put a little paprika on top. Serve with triscuits or some other type of nice light cracker. Not Ritz crackers, though.
3 comments:
I was going to ask if you had any news about the adoption today! I will be praying.
Awe, you love me! :) Just the recipes I wanted. Have a really great Thanksgiving, we love you.
Happy Thanksgiving guys! So glad that God allowed us to "know" each other, even if it is mostly virtual. LOL.
Post a Comment