Here's a Lemon Chess Pie recipe that I have of my grandmother's. She died when I was two, but when I got married, my Great Aunt Joyce (her older sister) gave me her original recipe card, with my grandmother's handwriting and smudges still on it.
I just made it a couple days ago, to "practice" for our big Thanksgiving meal. We are headed to Myrtle Beach for our Crawford Family Reunion - back to the original place it was held in 1979. I'm making a few family desserts for the reunion and hoping everyone will enjoy my own rendition of our pies.
I just made it a couple days ago, to "practice" for our big Thanksgiving meal. We are headed to Myrtle Beach for our Crawford Family Reunion - back to the original place it was held in 1979. I'm making a few family desserts for the reunion and hoping everyone will enjoy my own rendition of our pies.

Lemon Chess Pie:
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 T flour
1 T cornmeal
Grated rind of two lemons (don't get too close to the white rind)
Blend together with a fork in a bowl.
4 unbeaten eggs
1/4 cup melted butter (half stick)
1/4 cup lemon juice (juice from both of those lemons)
1/4 cup sweet milk (sweetened condensed milk)
Beat together with the sugar mixture until smooth and creamy.
I used a fork - don't over beat it.
Bake in an unbaked deep dish or 9 inch pie at 375 for 25-40 minutes or until set (doesn't wiggle a lot in the middle). It should be a nice golden color on top.
Another option, which I did the other day, is to roll out your dough into a muffin tin and spoon about two tablespoons of the lemon mixture into each cup. Bake for a little less time - about 20 minutes - and keep your eye on it.
Don't have a great crust recipe? Here's my favorite from a cookbook called "Apple Pie Perfect," the very best pie cookbook I've ever found:
Butter Crust
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 large egg yolk
About 3 T cold water
Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Scatter the butter pieces over the dry ingredients and cut them in, using a pastry blender or two knives, until the butter is broken into very fine pieces.
Place the egg yolk in a 1-cup measuring cup and add just enough of the water to equal 1/4 cup liquid. Using a fork, blend the water and the yolk.
Sprinkle about half the liquid over the flour, mixing it in with a fork. Lift the mixture up from the button of the bowl and press down on the downstroke. Add the remaining liquid a little at a time until the dough coheres. You may need 1 to 2 teaspoons more.
Makes enough pastry for one 9-inch deep dish pie shell.
2 comments:
If anybody is thinking about trying this recipe, I had a slice of the "practice" pie and can attest that it was delicious! I'm definitely going to try out the recipe myself. Someday!
DERN GINA! That pie sounds A-MAZING. I am the biggest lemon dessert fan and this recipe, my friend, WILL be going in my recipe book. Thanks for the recipe!I believe I'll try to make it while in GA. Yummy!
Post a Comment