I could tell that he was starting to feel better yesterday morning as he was moving a heavy wooden stool around the house. He rolled a ball under the couch, carried the stool to the couch and stood up to look behind it to find his ball.
Then I looked away for a minute. You realize a minute is all it takes, right?

This is the scene I ran to. He actually moved the stool to the side of the couch to help him get this ball. Then he fell in between the couch and the wall. I couldn't stop laughing. I think he was a little upset at first, but with all my giggling, he soon came around. Obviously, he couldn't get out without help. I sure hope he learned some kind of lesson, but I'm not sure what it would be.
Here's a conversation I had with Sam yesterday, while he was coloring (for the four hundredth time in the day):
Me: Wow, is that a tree? It looks so much like a tree.
Sam: No, it's grass.
Me: Oh. Grass. And now you're drawing the sun? Wow.Sam: No, Mama. It's a circle.
Well, duh. I feel so dumb sometimes.
On to the Graham Crackers, which some of you have patiently waited for.
This is from the Fannie Farmer Baking Book, with a few adjustments on my end.
4 T (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 egg
6 T sugar
2 T honey
2 T molasses
1/2 t baking soda
2 t water
3/4 t salt
1 1/2 C graham flour (I used whole wheat)
3/4 C all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Combine the butter, egg and sugar in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
Stir in the honey and molasses and blend.
Dissolve the baking soda in the water and add to the butter mixture.
Add the salt, graham flour, and all-purpose flour to the mixture and blend thoroughly. The dough should hold together and be manageable. If it is too "tacky" add a little more graham flour.
Liberally dust two cookie sheets with flour.
Split the dough in half or do 1/3 and 2/3 and roll out on each cookie sheet - I used my fingers to press it down. It should be about 1/8 inch thick - remember, the soda will make it rise a little.
If you want them to be as thick as I have in my picture, don't split the dough at all, but you will have a more chewy cracker.
Score the dough with a pizza cutter or knife, but not all the way through, into squares. Depending on the size you make you could have 20-40 per cookie sheet.
Prick each square a few times with the tines of a fork.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven. Gently lift out with a spatula and slide onto cooling racks. Once they are cooled, they'll be ready to eat - but Sam and I like ours warm.
3 comments:
Wow, I wish Maggie would color that often during the day. She sits down for about half a nano second... scribble scribble, "all done my color, mama." And off she goes to something else. I wonder if I should work on lengthening her attention span! :)
Thanks for sharing! I am hoping to give them a go next week!
he is getting so grown up and big!! that is amazing that he knows the whole alphabet. he is gonna be smart like his mom and day :)
Post a Comment