Monday, June 02, 2008

The Cross

Take a look at the third picture down in my last post. A friend of ours wrote me an email pointing out the cross-shaped puff of smoke. How interesting and unique!

Today was my and my brother's birthday. When I woke up, Sam had 101. Poor guy laid his little head on the floor in front of the kitchen and said, "Mama, Mama." I knew he had a fever from that behavior and from how warm he felt. He's been up and down all day, but seems to be responding to the Tylenol and Motrin. When it starts to wear off, that's when his fever goes back up. I'm staying up tonight to give him a bit more Tylenol and Motrin before I go to bed.

I really hope we won't be taking any trips to the hospital. He hasn't had a high fever like this (consistently) since we were in Charlotte!

Yesterday I was really pumped about the house we're buying. I killed a termite in Sam's room, six spiders around the house (along with their cob webs), we had a very loud June bug in the foyer, along with four wasps and a massive-sized cricket crawled on my hand when I reached into the closet to get some clothes for church. I told Bill I can't wait to get out of here, but he said I need to cool off a bit - we still have six weeks. Okay, I can wait, but no more bugs please! I only killed one wasp today and two spiders. Things are looking up.

In response to a comment, I'd like to post some fun things to do in Raleigh. Hollie, I'm sorry we never got a chance to show you around personally, but maybe my short list will suffice. Also, there are plenty of other moms in Raleigh who know WAY more than I do, so they should feel free to add to my list in the comments section.
  • Marbles children's museum (you can purchase a reciprocal membership and get into museums all over the country for free)
  • Pullen Park (great merry go round and train rides!)
  • Lake Lynn and Shelley Lake (great greenways and fun place to feed ducks and fish)
  • Make friends with someone who owns a horse - we would go on sleigh rides with the Clydesdale on the Creedmoor property.
  • Duke Gardens and the Lemur Center at Duke University (my friend Julie's blog told me about this)
  • NC Museum of Art (they often have different exhibits that can appeal to children of all ages)
  • NC Museum of History (SO great for everyone, including Sam's age)
  • NC Museum of Science (also a lot of fun)

That's all I can think of right now. Maybe Julie can add to it, if she reads this post. If you join a mommy group, you might be able to get the inside-track a bit better.

There's plenty to do here here now. We're always looking for something new, but we still haven't tried the stuff we've already heard about. I was really excited yesterday when I discovered an online group called High Country Mommies. They have very organized activities and insight on all kinds of stuff.

For now, scroll down and check out that picture of the puff of smoke above Thomas the Tank Engine!

3 comments:

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Teesa, you are an extremely cool mom. You really inspire me. I hope you had a wonderful birthday, despite Sam's fever... and the wasps! :)

Renee' said...

Happy a little belated birthday, Teesa!!! I hope it turned out great!

The Brown's said...

More fun kid stuff to do in the Raleigh area:
-Kazoom Puppet Theater
-Krispy Kreme Donuts-you can go, eat donuts and watch as they make them
-Daylight Donuts-can't watch them being made, but these are the best donuts and most places have a kids play area
-There are a TON of parks in Wake County-some awesome ones in Raleigh, others in Cary/Apex area...they are worth the drive-check out the parks/rec websites for the cities
-Blue Jay Point County Park on 6 Forks Rd off Hwy 98-has walking trails that let you go down to the lake, lots of fun for kids
-Millbrook Exchange Swimming Pool on Spring Forest Road-has a spray ground and huge kids pool-cheap to get in
-Play area at Southpoint Mall in Durham is awesome-sports theme...then you can walk outside to see the fountains and visit the bookstore
-NCSU campus-visit the Belltower, walk through tunnels
-Carolina Hurricanes-during hockey season they have open practices, you go to the RBC center and can watch them and even meet the players
-MOMS Clubs...they are awesome! When my oldest son was born, I joined one in Apex-it was GREAT! When we moved to WF, I joined the one here-again, it was great...got me out of the 'seminary box' b/c I was around non-Christian women and was able to witness to them, etc. www.momsclub.org