Sunday, June 22, 2008

Crazy Hair and Great Recipes

What do you make of this hair?

[I actually already published this post and when I went back to review it, I noticed something. The child in this photo doesn't look anything like the one in my "drunk" child photo below. Even though that was such a terrible picture (for obvious reasons), you can also tell that he is sick by his pallor. He's pale and has little circles under his eyes. But, in today's photo, he's pink and pretty - he looks like he's got color in his face and body and just seems healthier. Well, he was definitely acting healthier too - he was in good form today with no fevers. Just thought I'd throw that in.]

I added this picture to let you see his defibrillator a little better. You can kind of make out the scar from between his nipples to just above his belly button. Well, that big hockey-puck-looking-thing at the bottom of his belly IS the ICD. He often bruises his skin around the corners on the right-hand side because he goes down the steps on his belly so much.

You might also notice his tattoo. We saw Dora and Diego (and Boots) at Tweetsie Railroad today. We only went for about two hours so Sam could see his beloved Boots. We rode the Old Number 12 and I actually DID get a cinder in my eye! It really hurt, but it wasn't on fire when it hit me. Everyone on the train was covered with ashes.

I wanted to share a few really yummy recipes that I've made recently. Many of you know that I love to cook. I love it even more when people tell me they enjoy what I've cooked. Well, last night I made the absolute best brownies that I've ever made in my life. I was looking for a great recipe to make brownies with using my Hershey's cocoa powder. Well, here it is (be careful, they're addictive!).


Brownies

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts(optional)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla.

(At this point, I changed and started using my hand mixer.) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition. Add cocoa; beat until well blended. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat well. Stir in nuts, if desired. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost if desired. Cut into bars. About 36 brownies.


Another recipe that we love here at our home is one that my brother introduced to us. It's a Parmesan chicken bake and it is so easy. We actually keep Italian flavored bread crumbs on-hand all the time so I can make this at the last minute if I need it.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken

1/2 cup Hellmann's or Best Foods Real Mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lbs.)
Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 425°.

1. In medium bowl, combine Hellmann's or Best Foods Real Mayonnaise and cheese. On baking sheet, arrange chicken. Evenly top with mayonnaise mixture, then sprinkle with bread crumbs - until covered.

2. Bake 20 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. I brine my chicken in a little salt and sugar before I cook with it - it makes it VERY tender.

1 comment:

Renee' said...

He does look a lot better! I love the drunk kid pic though :-) What a cutie.