Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Great Morning

We had a great morning at the hospital. Little Brian is doing very well, although his bilirubin levels (related to jaundice) are a little higher than they should be. He will remain at the hospital for several more days to make sure he is okay. He's eating very well and was alert while we were there. He's got this adorable little squished nose and looks a lot like his father. I'm going to see about going back tomorrow to take some pictures. They don't have one picture of their new baby.

I think I was pretty useful this morning - at least I felt useful. They speak some English, but it's mostly centered around the restaurant industry. Talking about bilirubin and jaundice takes a totally different set of vocabulary. I translated a lot between the nurse, doctor and this family. I believe they were grateful to have me, but I only hope I did well enough. I had to "dumb" it down a lot, because I didn't know the words for bilirubin and all. I've figured out jaundice and red blood cells though. My Chinese is very rusty!

Keep this family in your prayers. She delivered early due to gestational diabetes. She is a hard-worker and is still going to work, although she's exhausted and taking pain medication. The baby was 9lbs 1 oz when he was born, but his liver is still under-developed.

In other news, Sam has now slept through the night for the last 10 days. It's the first time that he's ever done this so consistently. We are getting more sleep than we've gotten since before he was born.

We will close on our house next Tuesday, July 15th at 2pm. I assume that from that day on, Sam will have a difficult time sleeping again, but until then - I'm enjoying it!

1 comment:

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Hey! Maggie's watching Ni Hao Kai Lan right now. Thanks for telling me about it.

I definitely know you're enjoying your sleep now. I will pray that he continues to sleep through the night.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of schedule/routine you keep with Sam. Do you try to organize what he does each day, or does he just move from one activity to the next on his own? Maybe you could do a post on a day in the life of Sam!

Love you guys!