Sam likes to keep us hopping here. I was just telling a friend about how the last three weeks have seemed to be filled with me putting out "fires" here and there. Just as the adoption "crisis" was winding up, we got an email about our storage unit in China. The lease is running out in March and I needed to get money to the appropriate people, or at least tell them where to get the money. That's still not fully resolved, but we hope that the new lease won't increase the cost too much. In the midst of all of this, we're refinancing our home, which has taken a lot of logistical work to get done. Believe me, we're getting a good deal, but it is very detailed work. We close tomorrow and I suppose that means a new "fire" needed to start raging.
Sam has a new diagnosis as of this morning: meatal stenosis. Apparently, (stop reading if you are squeamish or get embarrassed easily), he got a small infection on the tip of his penis. As it started to heal itself, it began to close the opening to his urethra. The pediatrician said that in normal boys this is just an "annoyance" that can be taken care of easily. The tip is swabbed with a numbing agent, then injected with anesthesia, then the urologist will crush the tip and then use scissors to cut the opening back open.
The pediatrician said this usually takes less than two minutes. But, in Sam's case, things are never so easy. He cannot have normal anesthesia because of his arrhythmia. Therefore, his pedi needs to consult with his cardiologist who needs to locate a pediatric urologist who can handle this case. We still don't know exactly HOW it's going to be handled either. But, I will let you know as I do.
This is a common problem in boys who are circumcised. But, it's the ONLY problem in boys who are circumcised, so the doctor told me. He said boys who are uncircumcised don't have this issue, but have many many more issues.
So, please pray for Sam and his doctors. This will be a great learning experience for all of us, as it will show us on a small-scale how we will handle future anesthesia related issues with Sam. If we return overseas, this will be a great learning experience.
4 comments:
Don't know if this will help or not but here is the link to a pedi urologist: http://www.pedsurology.net/
He did Rosty's circumcision.
Since Rosty was born premature he was sent to Baptist Children's Hosp. and they don't do circumcisions so we had to have that done after he was home from the hospital.
He is in Charlotte so that's not too far from you.
Praying for your strong little guy. You're right; it definitely is a good learning experience.
ummm, ouch, it sounds like. thanks for your prayers and hope closing went well...we were in the hospital resting and frank said, "bill and teesa are in closing right now." i think he sent you a text. anyway, we are home and pushing fluids. thanks again. ha...my word verification is "fevers." that isn't funny!
How is he doing??? I have been away from blogs the last week or so. Thanks so much for your support. Yep, surgery of ANY kind with our heart babies is never easy!!! Oh, I cannot find the email/comment you sent about being near us? Did I imagine that??? If not, can you resend it! :) I would love to catch up in person if possible! Either post to the blog and I'll not publish or maybe you have not lost my email. LOL!
Post a Comment