Thursday, February 12, 2009

Senator

Wow, thanks for all the emails, comments and phone calls we've gotten in the last few days. We are overwhelmed with everyone's support and friendship.

The fingerprinting issue still has not been resolved, but it appears they are going to try to "move mountains" to get it done in the appropriate time. Apparently all appointments are made electronically and there is no way to manually change them. Believe me, when all is said and done and we actually have these fingerprint renewals registered in the system, my senator is going to get an ear full. I cannot believe how parents adopting are treated. I am hesitant to contact my senator right now, because I don't want to hurt our chances of them actually moving those mountains, but...well, I have a lot to say when we're done.

One of the commenters, Leslie, suggested looking back at some journals to remind ourselves of our motivation and calling to adopt. I think she is spot on in suggesting this. I haven't ever heard of any international adopter who hasn't gone through some difficulties, especially with red tape, but it still feels like we're the first ones to do this - as though we're re-inventing the wheel or something.

But, there are hundreds and thousands of adopters out there who have gone through so much more than we have endured, waited longer, and have received their child in the end. What a blessing that God has called us to walk this path, to grow us in His wisdom and knowledge and to encourage us with friends like you, who aren't afraid to speak up when God shares something.

On a less heavy note, Sam is doing great. We're on our way to the pedi this morning for another Synagis shot. This is his monthly shot to prevent RSV (estimated at ~$1000-5000 per shot!). Thank goodness for a low co-pay! He's doing great with his potty training, although we did have a mishap at a friend's house the other day.

One of the best ways for a little boy to use a "big" potty (like at a friend's house or a restaurant) is to face him backwards on it. It's brilliant! A woman at our church told me about how she used to do this with her son when he was little. So, while we were at our friend's house, I had Sam backwards on the potty, but when I lifted him up to get him off the potty, he dipped his foot in the water! It was gross. Other than that, we're really enjoying the freedom of big boy undies and the simplicity of going potty anywhere without having to worry about whether or not there is a changing station. Yeah for Sam!!

2 comments:

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Huh? I still can't even comprehend what you mean backwards on the potty! Is it a boy thing???

I am also enjoying the wonderful world of big-girl undies 24/7 for Maggie! And I discovered that laying a long piece of toilet paper in her undies while she's sitting on a public potty prevents the inside of per undies from touching the outside of the potty- something I mildly flip out about. :)

We're still praying for "moving mountains"!

noahandlylasmommi said...

I am praying for you guys Teesa! Glad Sam is doing well :0)