I have very bad news to report about Carolina. She has two ruptured ear drums and massive ear infections in both ears. We started her on Amoxocillin today and will give her Tylenol around the clock for 48 hours.
Can you imagine flying with two ruptured ear drums? It's no wonder she cried the whole way home. My poor baby!
I noticed two days after we got her some pus and waxy stuff coming out of her ear. A lot of it. I thought then that she might have an ear infection, but we needed to wait to see a doctor here. Then on the airplane, I noticed some goo in her ear completely sealing up her ear canal. Yesterday morning she was completely deaf. A couple hours later the pus and waxy stuff started coming out again and I realized she had ruptured her ear drum.
That was confirmed today. You should have seen the doctor's face when he looked in her ears. I know he's seen some bad stuff, but he said this was terrible. He said both of her ears were the same, both perforated.
She must be in such pain! Look at how she's had to cope with pain in the past - it breaks my heart to know she's not exhibiting the pain because of how nobody has paid attention to her in the past. I hope we can show her the love and care we need to even though she's not expressing how badly she hurts.
Hopefully she'll be on the road to recovery in 24 hours. At least we know now. We'll deal with her other issues (if she has any) in two weeks at our follow-up.
5 comments:
Poor thing...poor all of you! Praying for a quick recovery!
did they happen to prescribe the ear drops?? it is not a treatment, just a numbing liquid to help for the pain.
Poor child! My oldest had one rupture just about 15 min after we left the doctors office one time. I have never heard such screaming in my life. We went back to the office where the pedi confirmed she had surley had ruptured it! I feel so bad for her as well as you. We will keep praying for a speedy recovery and that she will have no other issues to contend with.
No, no ear drops. I'm wondering if he didn't prescribe ear drops because they don't want to put anything into the ear drum, if it's perforated. I don't know though. We have another appt in two weeks and will hopefully know more.
Thanks everyone, for your prayers and support!
hi teesa--my name is tamara and i posted our adoption story on prayer of hannah while we were still in utah getting our daughter, isabel. anyway, i've followed your blog for a while and we've been praying for sam's heart for quite some time, in addition to praying for your adoption of carolina. anyway, i can completely relate to the child not showing signs of pain due to neglect. our isabel was just the same way, but it's been amazing to see her realize so quickly that we will care for her when she cries out in pain or sickness. i will continue to pray that your sweet carolina will heal quickly, and that through this trial she will learn to experience the love and compassion of her mommy and daddy and big brother. many blessings to your family, and congratulations on the arrival of your precious and oh-so-beautiful daughter!!
in christ, tamara
Post a Comment