Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Amazing


Have you been reading the comments on our blog? I am amazed at how many people are praying for us. The comments page is just a sampling of the encouraging notes we are getting from around the world.

I didn't mention this before, but Dr. Buck, Sam's cardiologist, said there are partial results of the DNA blood analysis that was done in September. Dr. Buck said that Sam's form of Brugada Syndrome is not the most common form. In fact, they have not seen his form before. That's not saying too much though, knowing that they only discovered this disease in 1992. But, as a friend of mine said, "it is amazing to hear Teesa talk about how rare Sam's case is- it reminds me that God's hand is in this situation completely." I've said it before, they usually discover Brugada through an autopsy, so we know God's hand is all over this.

We went to see Sam's pediatrician today. It was a great visit, filled with good information. I can see how Dr. Mike is trying to mold us into parents who are not too overly-concerned for Sam and who don't overreact to every little thing. I'm sure he sees a lot of that in his profession. He has encouraged us to continue with our plans to go to a hockey game next Tuesday night. We are both really really nervous about it, but we think it might be the right thing to do in order to give ourselves a "break" from the stress we have been under. Dr. Mike even recommended one of his nurses to babysit for us, just to make sure Sam is in good hands. Our neighbors (who witnessed everything on Sunday at home) have also volunteered. We will think about it and make an educated decision this weekend - let's see how things go.

Sam is going to continue on his Motrin/Tylenol regimen for another 24 hours. We are going to move the Tylenol doses to every six hours (from four) tonight. Please remember him - pray that he doesn't get a fever again.

Pray also for his discomfort. His eyes are watery, nose runny and apparently he has two molars coming in that Dr. Mike said are quite painful.

We are beginning to give Sam multivitamins and high doses of vitamin C to help his immune system. Also, Dr. Mike said we shouldn't let anyone be around Sam who has even a hint of a sickness. Before this we were careful with folks with fevers, but I guess we have to be more strict from now on.

We told Dr. Mike that we could order a bubble to be erected around Sam, but he doesn't think that's necessary. Only practical measures are needed right now - washing hands, no church nursery and no sickness around him. I think we can accommodate these requirements, but I may need your help. :) I am a bit of a softy when people are melting around Sam because of their love for him.

I will keep you posted - right now Sam is chewing on a wooden mallet his great grandfather made for him and sitting in the middle of the living room floor. He has bedhead (when doesn't he?) and is wearing PJ bottoms and a little blue cardigan sweater. He's not eating great, but he has taken to his sweet potatoes again, which seems to be his veggie of choice after sickness.

Blessings.

The pictures are from the morning he was admitted to PICU. Again, we had absolutely NO indication he was sick. He was super happy to be outside and enjoyed the snow day.

No comments: