I was just reading a book called Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child suggested to me by a friend who adopted last Fall from Vietnam. I think Carolina's issues might be anxiety-related, according to this book. (By the way, this book is a MUST for folks who have adopted internationally.)
I have tried everything I can possibly think of to get this girl to sleep, but to no avail. She is very seriously in need of one full night's sleep (so is mommy and big brother). She will sleep for about two hours and then wake up intermittently to cry for 30 seconds, then remain quiet for two minutes and that will last about two more hours. The only soother is to get her a bottle of milk. In the last four nights she has has 32 ounces of milk every single night between the hours of 10pm and 6am.
I don't think she's hungry, although she might have acid reflux. I'll be seeing her doctor on Thursday to ask about that and to see how her ears have healed.
Please be in prayer for us as we approach Sam's surgery too. I do not know how this is going to affect Carolina - being in a new place for something so stressful. Plus I won't be with her some nights, but Bill will...still, she may have some difficulty. This part of the surgery will be new to us and I'm sure it will be difficult to handle.
There's no need to have anxiety about it right now, but I am going to be drawing some pictures to show her what's going to happen and try to talk to her about it. Maybe that will help...but who knows.
As for Sam, he is healthy and raring to go. He's really a remarkable young boy. I've caught him reading in bed with his bedside lamp on many times over the last week. He's also told me how he is "properly fine" recently. He's developing so well.
I thought I'd include a drawing of his. I was completely shocked to see how many letters he can write. I haven't taught him how to write any yet. This was done about four weeks ago.
6 comments:
Wow, Teesa. Those letters in Sam's drawing are REALLY impressive.
You know we're praying.
My favorite letters are the lower case "a"s and "e"s. Amazing.
Ah, sleep. I remember a similar horrible sleep pattern around the same time. I also noticed that many others were dealing with the same thing around the same time--1-2 months after arriving home. I finally decided that something must be happening with further adjustment or attachment. Maybe as they became more comfortable they then began to fear that it could all change again as well. I don't know--but it does seem that something happens around that time. So sorry no one is sleeping well. It will pass, as you know. That just doesn't help when you're in the middle of it! Good luck! Oh, and I'm glad you got the book! As for Sam's letters, very impressive little man! (Oh--and by the way, this is the 3rd time I've had to type this comment. Silly things keep happening and erasing it!)
That is so impressive!! I really hope you can get Carolina to get some sleep. That has got to be tough.
Wow, Teesa, you have a full plate.
On the sleep, I can totally believe it is anxiety. S too is still soothed by milk if awakened in the night. I'll warm you: your ped probably discouraged it as mine does but mine has never adopted and she admitted it is different when you just don't know about their past and possibly being hungry as young infants in the night.
On the surgery, you can bet I'll be praying!!! I am going to make myself some notes! Will be thinking of you all!
Sam can read?! I've got to tell Ethan about that so he can catch up with him. I'll probably compare those two for their entire lives since they were born on the same day.
Post a Comment