Friday, August 22, 2008

August 22, 2007 - A Memory

One year ago today, Bill and two friends, Jane and Terry Bailey (Terry passed away in early January), took a trip to Durema Bailey's old house. Durema had been Bay Leaf Baptist Church's oldest member before she passed away.

Jane thought it would be a great idea to dig up some of her irises and transplant them into the Durema Bailey Memorial Garden at the house where we were living. Bill was, of course, chosen for the job of digging.

He brought about twenty of them home in a plastic bag and a white bucket. Before we had a chance to plant them, our lives changed forever and we had no time to get all of them in the ground. I'll post something tomorrow, but, in case you missed it, tomorrow is the one year anniversary of Sam's febrile seizures and our fateful trip to UNC where we learned of his heart condition. Feels like it's been longer than a year, right? Well, it hasn't.

We only got a few of those irises transplanted, because we were in the hospital so much over the ensuing weeks. About 10 or so stayed in the bucket and plastic bag next to our back door for the entire winter.

In March of this year, as we were packing up all of our things to move, I noticed the irises were producing leaves from inside the bucket and plastic bag. I planted a few more of them in the garden and decided to take the rest with me here. Sam and I placed them in pots and he helped me cover them with potting soil we borrowed from our next door neighbors.

I brought them with us and one of them even bloomed in mid-June. That's when Sam learned how to smell flowers.

Today, in a very non-ceremonious way, Sam and I transplanted the rest of those irises into our very own garden. To me, Durema Bailey's irises are a sweet reminder of the Hope we had a year ago when our world crashed down around us.

Even when they looked like they weren't going to bloom, and even when they didn't get any water or nutrients from me, God, in His wisdom, brought them back to life. They had a rough winter, just as we did.

Now they are with us at our new home and they are thriving.

And, a year ago tomorrow, we didn't understand what was happening. We did everything we could for Sam, even after hearing the diagnosis and not knowing if he would be with us today, God, in His wisdom, kept him with us.

I don't know what our future holds or where we will live or what job Bill will have or even if we will ever be made a complete family by finally receiving our adopted child. But, I do know that today, more than ever before in my life, I trust God. He is the One who breathes life into all beings. And, He has given me new Life in His Son, Jesus Christ. And hope.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: If you would like a new Life like I have, please write me and let me know. teesa at mail dot com. I can help you ask Jesus to be your Saviour. You won't ever regret it.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

3 comments:

noahandlylasmommi said...

it does seem like so long ago. God is so great. I pray that he will heal Sam. You have an amazing little boy :)

The Rose's said...

Wow i cant believe it has been a year either!!! I am so glad sam is a little trooper and you and Bill are AMAZING WONDERFUL PARENTS!!!! Your whole family is comepletely belssed and Sam has Go'd own hands on him!! I will be praying and thinking of you all tonight!! Lots of hugs and kisses from lexi and me!!!!!!

Kristen

Nan said...

Beauty from ashes! I really does seem like it has been longer than a year...time always seem to fly by us! We were in Boone while you were in TN...we almost tried to find the house, but got sidetracked on a random road off the parkway :( Maybe next time!