Plus, Billy Graham showed up - which was especially cool for me. I didn't even know who he was when I first moved to North Carolina in 1994. It wasn't until I was married to Bill and began working at our church as a custodian that I learned one of the church's interns was his grandson. Everyone made a big deal about it, but I didn't make the connection. I know, I'm a moron.
Tonight was the first time that I have ever seen him in person - he'll be 90 next week. What an honor to be in the same vicinity with someone who has had such a huge impact on so many people all over the world and who has led so many people to the Lord.
Back to Grandfather Mountain - we took Sam to the Mile High Swinging Bridge, which was very windy, and then hiked up to a really cool peak. Sam did his own little version of rock climbing while he was up there too.
We had a great picnic a little later and they had tons of those inflatable bouncy playgrounds that Sam had a fit over. He LOVED them. I wish I had taken my camera. A friend of ours emailed me this picture from the peak though:

We also got an incredibly cool package today from a friend of ours in New York. Her son has a heart condition too, so he and Sam are "heart buddies" and both part of the "Zipper Club," as many moms call it. It had two race cars in it and some other goodies. Bill and I are always so amazed at how wonderful people are to us. So, Tracie and Jason - thanks again. It really means a lot to us that you are thinking of us, even when you have similar struggles. You're a real blessing.
One final note: Sam can now repeat the alphabet letter for letter after me. I'll get some video tomorrow - he just loves doing it over and over again. He's also starting to recognize a few letters. AND, he's sleeping in his big twin bed with a railing every night with no falls at all. In fact, he will just sit in it and call for one of us when he wants to get down - despite the fact that he can actually crawl on and off of our queen bed by himself. I'm not sure how his is any different, but he seems to know he needs to stay put until Mommy or Daddy comes to get him.
2 comments:
Wow, what a great opportunity. I've never heard of Grandfather Mountain, but I'm living vicariously through you as you get to experience these things. And bonus that Billy Graham showed up. I always wanted to meet Ruth Graham; I had so many questions for her.
Anyway, love the picture of you three... Sam is looking like a real big boy now. Wish he could come to Lilly's birthday next month - we're finger-painting! :)
Love you!
that is awesome that he is doing so well in his bed!! I hope we have the same luck! Lyla loves those bounce houses too. We took her in one at the fair and I had to drag her out of it when our turn was over. lol
Post a Comment