Monday, January 12, 2009

Indian Food

I had been hesitating on making Indian food at home, because it seems really intimidating to me. For those of you who have told me in the past you are afraid to bake bread, I completely understand how you feel.


But, I have a friend who has been encouraging me to make food. She even sent me some packets for these awesome kabobs - called Seekh Kabobs. I sauteed some onions and mixed them with ground beef and the spice packet, plus a little raw ginger. I then grilled them on my George Foreman grill, because it was WAY too cold outside the day we made these.

Then I made Daal, which is basically lentils with some spices and tomatoes. If I understand it correctly, every family makes them differently. This particular recipe was from a friend of my Aunt Nancy's. I didn't make any veggies to go with the meal though, because I was so afraid I was going to mess everything up. But, it turned out really well.

I'd be happy to share my recipe, but I bet you've got an Indian friend somewhere who has a favorite she would love to share. Next time I try the Daal, I'm trying Indrani's.

2 comments:

The Menius family said...

I have never had Indian food but the kabobs sound good.

I do more Southern cooking and very little ethnic cooking. Maybe I'll try the eggs and tomatoes this summer after we have fresh tomatoes from the garden;-)

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

I completely understand your fear... I have always felt that way about cooking Indian food. But last year, I finally tried chicken makhani (sp?) and it turned out great! I then tried a very simple (and frugal) rice dish and naan. Now we eat these about twice a month. I'd be happy to share the recipes if you're interested.

You continue to be my kitchen hero.