Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What We've Been Up To

Here is Sam with his letter of the day "B." We learned that bear, bee, bunny and bacon all start with the letter B today.

Sam woke up on Monday morning with a cough, itchy eyes and a sneeze. He's had a low-grade fever ever since. So, I have diligently kept him at home and not allowed him to play with anyone else. I was so sad about this because our local library had a big Chinese New Year's bash, but we couldn't go.

But, I decided to make the most of our day at home today. I needed something to show for all of this "quarantined" action. Potty training was next on my list, so we decided to go for it.

Last Saturday morning, he woke up and said he needed to sit on the potty. We decided to cancel our plans for the morning and focus on what he wanted to do: sit on the potty.
He peed in his new big boy underwear a couple times, but then he got the hang of it. Unfortunately, we had to go to several parties after lunch (actually, it was fortunate, as we were getting out of the house), so I couldn't continue the potty training later in the day.

This morning I was completely prepared. Bill bought Sam some miniature monster trucks, we have a chart with stickers, some DVDs about potty training, a coloring page, M&Ms and the big boy underwear all ready to go.
Now it is the end of the day and he has peed exactly 21 times in the potty and only had one accident. We need to work on pooping in the potty tomorrow, as he apparently took a break from that activity today. He has initiated the last 16 times of going to the potty.
M&Ms are the big motivator here. I am so proud of him! But, here I am at 6:30pm and I am completely exhausted. We're about to sit down to Buffalo shrimp and salads and I will enjoy my respite once my little one goes to bed.


8 comments:

Nan said...

Not sure what you are going to do about nights, but let me know if you want an idea....

Teesa said...

Of course I want to know! Let me in on your secret. For now, I was just going to put a diaper on him during naptimes and nighttime until he gets day time down.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

A riend of mine would get up in the middle of the night and put her kids on the cold toilet seat, she said that really sped up the training.

noahandlylasmommi said...

he is so cute in his underwear!!

Nan said...

Stop fluids about 2 to 2.5 hours before bed time. Have him use the potty at least twice in the last 30 minutes before bed time. Put him to bed and nap in his undies and don't use diapers or pull ups. You can take him to the potty when you and Bill go to bed. You may have a few accidents the first few nights, but not for long. I put Jonathan in pull ups and he started staying dry at night at the same time as Jacob did because I put Jake in undies. And Jacob is a year and a half younger! A few wet nights and then he will call for you when he needs to go potty. Carloine is doing it too, and it is working....she is at "Pocket Change" on my blogroll. Wishing you dry nights!

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Nan, I want to know your secret too. We're all PT'd except for nap and bedtime...

I'm continually impressed with Sam. He's such a little man.

I'm so sorry you missed the Chinese New Year celebration at your library (Kudos to them for doing that). Did you get my craft link for making the Chinese lamp? I bet Sam would like it.

Teesa said...

We eat at 6pm and Sam goes to bed at 7pm - any suggestions for that? Maybe I should get him to eat earlier and no liquids after dinner?

Thanks for your advice Nan!!!

Nan said...

If you can feed him a little earlier or just give him a few sips of water with his dinner that would help...And maybe you could psuh back his bedtime a little, maybe just 30 minutes? It won't be forever. My boys drink water right up until bedtime now. And, you won't have to take him to the potty at your bedtime except for a few days. It will be a little scary to not get him up, but he will either wake you because he needs to go or is wet. And the wet shouldn't last long at all! Just have dry undies, clothes and sheets ready just in case...in the bathroom and ready to go, a couple of sets if you can. Also, if you don't have one, make sure his mattress or mattress cover is waterproof. (Duh right?) Give me a call if you need anything other help...Frank can give you my number.