Saturday, January 31, 2009

No Turning Back

I have TPd a few of your blogs. Blue Yonder is having a giveaway and I wanted to get the word out - there's a sleepover party over there and it seems like a lot of fun.

We've been continuing our potty training, but I think we've pretty much gotten the hang of it. We had a few accidents yesterday morning, but he has done fantastic today - not even one accident yet. I imagine we'll have some set-backs and difficult days, but I'm counting my blessings that he's been so productive so far (in so many ways!).


I have learned a great deal from this experience. I think the most important one is to wait until both mommy and child are ready. Sam has probably been ready for a long time, but I've been scared out of my mind! I don't know why I was so intimidated - I think there were a few factors involved. The greatest of these factors was that I was fearful that if I messed up it would take him years to get back on track. I think that's a valid consideration, especially since my father and my husband were well over three before they learned.


But, here we are on day four and we've already been out in public several times - he's done great. I feel like Brad Pitt in the movie "The Mexican" when he was cheering for himself for finally getting something right. I even did those moves this morning in the kitchen when Sam looked down at his pants and then looked up at me with these deer-caught-in-headlights eyes. I immediately asked and he immediately responded - POTTY!!!

This video has been circulating - it's Sam's little potty dance. We BOTH get a reward when he's poopied in the potty - we blare Julieta Venegas(Google her Si album) as loud as we can and dance like crazy!

So, for those of you thinking about potty training your child, I'll write down our method in the next post. I am far from being an expert, and this is far from over, but I've learned a few things in the last week that I'd love to share.

2 comments:

noahandlylasmommi said...

I will be looking forward to that post. Maybe it will inspire me to start potty training next week? :0)

The Menius family said...

Bring it on!!!

Rosty was 3 1/2 before completely
potty trained but I think Charlie is ready he is just lazy at home. He does it preschool all day (except poop)but I think that is b/c all of his friends are doing it.

I'll sit him on the potty (first thing in the morning, after supper, etc) he does not go and then a little while later he'll tell me that he's wet.

I was hoping he would be quickier than Rosty....