Thursday, January 22, 2009

Virus

I'm so glad I took Sam to the pedi today. I just had a feeling about him being sick because he was falling to pieces at the smallest injury and the low-grade temp last night. His wonderful doctor did a CBC (not so wonderful) and learned that Sam has elevated lymphocytes - indicating a viral infection.

He's still on antibiotics for strep throat, and his throat looked great today, but the antibiotics won't heal his virus. We just have to treat the symptoms (high fever, achiness, etc) and wait it out.

I did something today that I very rarely do formally. I might complain in this forum some or even complain when talking to someone, but it's gotta be a very serious offense for me to formally complain. I did just that to his pediatrician today.

One of the last times we went in to see a doctor, we saw one we had never seen before. This was a couple months ago. I haven't had a venue to log my formal complaint until today (I didn't want to do it over the phone, I wanted to talk directly to his usual pedi).

I've told this story once before, but for the sake of it being fresh in my mind, I'll tell it again.

The doctor who saw us that day offered to give Sam some cough medicine she had in the cabinet. I asked her if it would be okay even with his arrhythmia (I am still learning the ins and outs of the meds he can take). She looked at me with a quizzical face and said she didn't know and that maybe I should just ask a pharmacist.

A pharmacist? Shouldn't I consult a doctor?

Then, after a few more flustering moments, she decided to check his tummy. She felt his defibrillator and immediately looked at me and asked (I kid you not), "Is that his liver?"

Um, if his liver was as hard as a piece of metal, don't you think I'd be in the ER right now?

I actually laughed at her. I thought she was kidding. She wasn't. She was very embarrassed and left the room quickly.

Sam's usual doctor, who we saw today, was shocked at my relaying this story. He said they take feedback very seriously and that he would make sure it was discussed with her. He's a really great pedi - we couldn't have asked for a better one in this town.

I know I was blushing all through my re-telling of the story, but I just hate "tattling" on people (no matter what my brothers might tell you). I'm really glad it wasn't more serious.

I'll keep you posted on Sam. If this virus is anything like last year's viruses, he should be back to normal in about a week. I'll check his temps a lot during the days and make sure he's got plenty of fluids. Thanks to everyone who asked about him! Keep praying.

3 comments:

Beth and Abigail said...

I love the art project- We may need to steal the idea :) I am glad just has "a virus" and I am even more glad tht you were able to talk to his reg pediatrician. How would she be able to change her behavior- if no oen calls her on it.

Beth

The Menius family said...

I'll be praying for Sam today.

I also prefer to see our regular pedi because I had a situation with another pedi so I definitely know how you feel. I'm glad you told him about it.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

wow, that's scary about the other pedi, and she's still treating patients? I've heard of on-the-job
training but... she's a learn-as-you-go kinda doctor.

We'll keep Sam in our prayers.