Sunday, January 04, 2009

Naked Finger Painting

I always forget how busy the holidays are here in the States. I can't even tell you what I've been busy with, I only know I haven't had time to sit down and properly post anything.

To see what we were up to today, check out my neighbor, Joanna's, post.

I wanted to start with some photos of a naked finger painting experience Sam had with a friend, Nathan. Nathan's mommy knows a lot about child development and she wanted to give this a try with Sam, since her son loves it so much, and see how he did. It was absolutely hysterical.



As you can see from this picture, he was not thrilled about getting paint on himself. He almost refused to use his fingers and only wanted to use a brush at first. Nathan's mommy laid a tarp down on the floor and we poured the paints directly onto it then gave the kiddos a blank canvas.


Nathan knew just what to do though. He seemed quite at ease with getting himself very messy. Hopefully Sam will learn more as he tries it again and again.


Sam finally found his nitch when Nathan's mommy encouraged him to drizzle the paint onto the canvas. As long as he didn't have to touch it.


Nathan obviously needed a bath by the time we were done. Sam had a little paint on his leg, but Nathan had it everywhere - even in his hair and all over his mommy. He is so creative and such an artist.


Bath time was a hoot. Nathan knows that if you splash a lot, you get more bubbles. Since Sam only just got his first bubble bath soap, he wasn't as well-versed, so-to-speak, in the splashing routine.


Nathan even got into cleaning Sam's back. Sam definitely had more fun in the bath (getting clean) than he did getting messy.

We're going to try again some time soon - and we'll see if the artist in Sam prevails in the inner struggle of messiness versus creating art.



One of the coolest toys Sam got for Christmas was from Elijah's family. They gave him a model train set. Sam has been obsessive about playing with it. We've built a bridge/tunnel out of our mega blocks and used his old boppy to create a tunnel too. He's thrilled just to stand there and watch it go around and around.

And, it wouldn't be Christmas without my homemade sticky buns. I was thrilled to make them, even though I was really sick around Christmas. It was the first food I ate for more than 36 hours and it was yummy yummy.

I thought, in the spirit of Christmas, I would share the recipe with those of you who enjoy baking.

Caramel-Pecan Sticky Buns

1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110 - 115 degrees)
3/4 cup warm milk (same degrees as above)
1/4 cup sugar
3 T vegetable oil
2 t salt
3 3/4 to 4 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Filling:
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup sugar
3 t ground cinnamon
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, oil, salt and 1 1/4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about one hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18 inch by 12 inch rectangle. Spread butter to within 1/2 inch of edges.

Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch the seam to seal (use wet hands to help seal better).

Use a four inch piece of thread to cut it into 12 slices - this keeps it from getting smooshed with a knife.

Combine brown sugar and cream; pour into a greased 13 inch by 9 inch by 2 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with pecans.

Place rolls, cut side down, over pecans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about one hour. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until well browned. Cool for one minute before inverting onto a serving platter. Yield: 1 dozen.

8 comments:

noahandlylasmommi said...

Lol too cute! Isnt it funny how some kids hate getting messy? Your sticky buns look amazing! Thanks for the recipe but I am embarrassed to say I have never made homemade bread... lol maybe I can give it a try!

Teesa said...

Don't be embarassed about it! I would venture a guess that the majority of people have never made homemade bread. Why should we, anyway, when we can buy it so easily? But, it can be very cathartic for me to bake AND the taste of fresh baked bread is so worth the effort. Try it...

Nan said...

I saw the recipe and it looks yummy! I would have to not use the pecans b/c I am the only one who eats them and that just seems to not be worth it! Also, we are just starting an elimination diet today for Jonathan...no dairy. Will post about it, if there is success!

Jeffrey & Shannon said...

Oh Sam, you're a boy after my own heart! :)

And for anyone who doesn't prefer pecans (p'cahnz as we say in the South), they are drizzled with so much insanely good caramel yummyness that you don't care if they're pecans or whatever. Trust me on this one! :)

Teesa said...

I take it that it went over well at your house too, Shannon?

I definitely think the pecans are key in this, if you're gonna make them "sticky" buns. They really cut the sweetness and add a little protein to the buns. But, if Manly Man really dislikes p'cahns, you can use walnuts instead.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

People! pronounced pee'-cans

I can peronally vouch for the sticky buns. Yes, the pecans on top make 'em, the pecans add a nice crunchy texture to the soft bun.

Nan said...

Teesa,
If only walnuts would work. Manly Man doesn't like any nuts! Can you believe that?!?!?!

Beth and Abigail said...

What a cute Idea!! We will need to try that soon...maybe once the weather gets nicer and the mess can be isolated.

Give sam two or three more tries and he will be rolling in the paint!