We have an answer, finally. I think I said yesterday that one of Sam's nose cultures came back positive. It was the one called "adenovirus."
The infectious disease doctor came in today and said that adenovirus is the cause of Sam's high fevers. Of course, we know that any normal child could get high fevers and be okay, but Sam's heart is what landed him here. When he gets a high fever, his heart goes into an abnormal, very fast rhythm. Apparently, adenovirus causes children to get high fevers and have respiratory problems, just like he has. The quick swab of his nose came back negative, but the culture, that they have been looking at for four days, came back positive. He also might be developing an ear infection. Last night it was buldging, but today it is fine.
The ID doctor said she will be in touch with our pediatrician here alert him that Sam might have another high fever over the weekend due to his ear. But, he might not. It just depends on how his body heals.
They are probably releasing us this evening. We have weaned Sam's meds (Tylenol and Motrin) and are keeping a close eye on his temperature. If there is any rise or any fever, we will re-assess before this evening.
I feel good about all of this. I think the ID doctor knows what she is talking about and I feel confident that Watauga Medical Center will be able to handle us from now on (unless there's an even higher temp). The cardiologist said, "it is what it is," when he was talking about Sam's fever and his VTAC. He said it doesn't make a difference what the temperature is - a VTAC is a VTAC and Sam is going to have one with almost ever fever. We just have to sit by and watch - monitoring him closely to make sure nothing else happens (this means, go straight to the hospital).
Sam has been a different child today. He's still not eating like he normally does, nor is he drinking normally, but he's jumping on the bed and screaming "Mama" a lot. I think it's time for us to move on from here and go back to the rental at home.
Bill will be here after work, around 7:30 or 8 tonight and we'll likely leave after that. I will let you know what I hear. My phone is still not working properly, since Sam threw it down on Saturday (I can only use speakerphone on it). But, I should get my old new phone back tomorrow. Also, I won't have internet anymore once we are home. So, I'm not sure how you'll keep up with us anymore. Maybe I'll have some time on Saturday to break away and write. I'll post once more before we leave tonight though.
As always, keep praying. Sam is going to have a long road ahead of him whenever he goes new places or meets new people. The doctor said today that I STILL can't put him in a bubble, no matter what. She said he can play on the playground, in museums and even go to school when the time comes. But, no one is allowed to kiss him on the lips (save us) hands. And we need to wash them after every time someone touches his hands. So, if you see me bring out my hand sanitizer, it's not because I think you're disgusting. It's for his safety.
Blessings.
3 comments:
Good news!
You know my phone numbers, so call me when you need something that I can help with.
Muriel <3
Hey Teesa, or anyone reading, can we have the address for the rental in Boone?
Glad he is starting to feel better. Abigail had the adenovirus...it kicked her pants...can't imagine having Sam deal with it. Glad he is on the mend!
Beth
Post a Comment