Sunday, April 13, 2008

In Charlotte

This is Teesa, finally.

We are in Charlotte at the Levine Children's Hospital (Carolina Medical Center) in the PICU. We were transferred via ambulance late last night from home.

Sam had at least two events with his heart last night where the defib discharge, it is likely that he had even more events than that but his body came out of it on his own. We were admitted straight to ICU and when we got to the room, he got a big shock that actually hurt my arm and body quite a bit. I've never felt a shock before, but I guess I was positioned just right.

They were going to airlift him out, but changed the plan at the last minute. It was better for us, because I was able to ride with him.

Bill followed later in a car. He's currently sprawled out on the couch in Sam's room. Sam's heart is in better shape now than when we arrived. It was skipping beats and doing a few odd things when we got here, but it's steady and constant now.

We don't know what's causing his fever, which got to 103.1 last night. It started creeping up when we got here too, so we've continued to keep him medicated. They put a probe in his rectum to constantly monitor his fever. It's 98.8 right now and has been creeping up from 98 for about an hour.

Please pray hard for his temperature to resolve itself and for them to figure out what is causing the fever.

For those of you who have missed it, Sam's heart cannot take fever. If he has a fever around 102F, his heart will beat too quickly and his defibrillator will need to discharge if it beats too quickly for 60 beats or more.

Blessings. I'll keep you updated now that we have internet.

No comments: